The Warren United Church has established a scholarship in memory of life-long member Rebecca Peatman, who was active in the Warren Church and the Mad River Valley community in many capacities.
Rebecca’s contributions to the community included serving as dispatcher for the Mad River Ambulance, Warren Town Treasurer, Justice of the Peace, board member of both the Mad River Valley Health Center, and Central Vermont Home, Health and Hospice. Her commitments to the church were numerous, serving on the Mission, Stewardship, Finance, and Scholarship committees, as well as others.
Rebecca believed in the value of education, and recognized the financial challenge faced by many young people and their families. Providing a scholarship to a local student will honor her memory for many years to come. Her wishes were to help a student who has financial need, and has demonstrated initiatives that resulted in positive outcomes for the community. The Rebecca Peatman Scholarship will consider non-traditional students, as well has high school seniors, and is open to residents of the Mad River Valley.
- One annual scholarship of $1,500.
- Applicant must be a current resident of the Mad River Valley community (Warren, Waitsfield, Fayston, Moretown or Duxbury), who has graduated high school or received a GED.
- Applicant shall be a first year student who has been accepted into an accredited higher education program for the following semester with full time status (12 credits or the equivalent), seeking an undergraduate degree or certificate.
- Applicant shall demonstrate community involvement or service.
- Applicant shall demonstrate financial need.
- Applicant shall demonstrate academic achievement.
- Application form, which can be completed on-line below or printed and completed manually.
- A list of community involvement and service projects you have participated in. Please provide the activity, date and contact information for project leader or organizer.
- An essay (up to 500 words) describing yourself, your educational goals, why you selected the community service or school/civic involvement you performed and how it has shaped who you are today; and anything that may distinguish you above others to receive this scholarship.
- Two letters of recommendation; one letter from a teacher or guidance counselor, and the second from a non-relative employer or mentor
- SAR (Student Aid Report) page from the FAFSA report. Please do not send detailed personal financial information. Please also disclose any other financial gifts, awards or scholarships that you have received for tuition, books, or room and board.
- Official transcript from the most recent high school you attended; or GED.
- Letter of commitment and acceptance from the chosen educational institution.
- May be renewable for up to three additional years based on continued full time status, in good standing with regards to academics (minimum 2.5 GPA), or all other scholarship criteria.
Note: The scholarship board reserves the right to inquire and/or follow up with any information submitted as part of the application, and will have full authority to vet, review and award or deny at their sole discretion, in their capacity as the Rebecca Peatman Scholarship Board.